Our office has begun the file review process for the 2018-2019 academic year. Here are some of the potential documentation you may need to summit to our office and information on how to obtain these documents.
Need to submit Form 23 or 24 (Student Income) or 25 (Parent Income)?
You will need to do one of the following:
- Go to submitsfsdocs.wsu.edu to complete this and all other forms. Either upload your 2016 tax return transcript OR indicate you will use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT). Do not do both!
- If you indicate you will use the IRS DRT, then go back and use the DRT on the FAFSA (under the financial section).
- You will receive a notification that our office needs additional information from you (Form 98) if you selected the DRT option. You will also be asked to attach a statement informing us you used the DRT when you have completed this step.
- If you did not indicate you would use the DRT, then we will need a copy of your 2016 tax return transcript from the IRS. Tax return transcripts can ONLY be obtained by going to the IRS website.
Amended Tax Returns
If you mended your taxes you will need to submit supply a copy of your signed 1040X form along with a copy of your 2016 tax return transcripts from the IRS.
Using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) automatically transfers your tax return income information from the IRS website directly into your FAFSA. Both parents and students can use it. It’s quick and easy and can be done within minutes!
Use the IRS DRT Tool!
- It is the easiest way your FAFSA has the most accurate income-related information.
- Both students and parents may use this tool.
- Speeds up your financial aid processing (up to 10 times faster)!
- Allows you the option of not having to order tax return transcripts from the IRS which, depending on the time of year, can take 2-6 weeks to receive by mail.
- Step-by-Step instructions
Who cannot use the IRS DRT?
Students or parents who are married and filed as Married Filing Separately, are married and filed as Head of Household, or filed a Puerto Rican or foreign tax return. In these cases you will need to provide a copy of your IRS Tax Return Transcripts or copies of your foreign tax returns. Please note that foreign tax returns must include the information translated into English and into US dollars.
How to order IRS Tax Return Transcripts
Federal regulations does not allow our office to accept 1040, 1040-A, nor 1040-EZ tax returns for verification/file review purposes. Parents and students will need to submit an IRS Tax Return Transcript when a Tax return Transcript is requested by our office.
A tax return transcript can be obtained immediately online, or by phone and mail. To order one online you will need the following:
- Your SSN, date of birth, filing status and mailing address from latest tax return
- Access to your email account
- Your credit card number or account number from an auto loan, mortgage, home equity loan, or home equity line of credit
- Access to a mobile phone
To order one by mail, you will need the following:
- SSN or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)
- Date of birth
- Mailing address from your latest tax return
If you order one by mail, please note it takes approximately 2 weeks to receive a mailed transcript from the IRS and it should be mailed to your home, not WSU.
To Order Tax Return Transcripts:
- Online: irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript
- Phone: 1-800-908-9946
- Mail: irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript
Verification of Non-filing Letter from the IRS
Any Independent Students or Parents who indicate they did not file taxes must provide official documentation from the IRS by obtaining a Non-filling Letter from the IRS. You will be asked to supply this letter from the IRS if you indicate you were a non-tax filer on the Student and/or Parent Income Verification Forms.
To obtain this letter:
- Fill out and complete the 4506-T form.
- We have pre-filled out some of the form for you with the correct information you need to obtain this letter.
- Mail or fax the completed form to the correct IRS office based on which state you reside in.
- The IRS will send back the confirmation of your non-filing status within 10 business days.
- Once you receive the non filing letter from the IRS, supply that letter to our office by uploading it to your Student and/or Parent Income form.