The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA)* for 2018-2019 school year open on October 1st! Please pay close attention to our priority deadlines posted below!
Important Change to the 2018-2019 FAFSA
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) will be avialable for students and parents to transfer their 2016 tax information from the IRS to their 2018-2019 FAFSA.
As you have probably have heard, last year there was a security concern that caused the IRS DRT to be temporarily suspended by the U.S. Department of Education and the IRS. This year there are new enhanced security modifications that you need to know about before using the DRT.
When utilizing the IRS DRT, the new security features will protect your personal information by limiting the information that is displayed. This means when you use the IRS DRT there will be information that you will not be able to see yourself. Do not be concerned by not being able to see your information. The information being pulled is the tax information that you would have filed in 2016. If you know that you filed your taxes correctly, then you should feel comfortable with the information that is being pulled from the IRS.
This new security feature helps secure your information and makes completing your FAFSA easier. Here are some benefits of using the IRS DRT:
- Transfers required information needed to complete the FAFSA.
- If you are selected for verification and used the IRS DRT, it will be less time consuming.
- Choosing not to use the IRS DRT will take more time to process required documents as it involves manually reviewing your documentation.
- Using the IRS DRT helps avoid the applicant from accidentally filing in information incorrectly.
- Using the IRS DRT provides a new layer of security of your personal information.