Skip to main content Skip to navigation
Washington State University
Student Financial Services COVID-19 Financial Aid Information
Your COVID-19 Financial Aid Information

Emergency Assistance to Students

COVID-19 Emergency Funding Update: 
While some emergency funding is still available to help students and universities through the continued disruption of the COVID-19 pandemic, the federal emergency funding has been either fully disbursed or has been allocated to be disbursed. Student completing an Emergency Fund Request form now will not be considered for federal emergency funding. There were 3 phases of federal student emergency support. For more information on the 3 phases of the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund, or HEERF, please see Program Summary below. Guidance released from the US Department of Education in May 2021, expanded the eligibility of students for these HEERF funds.  Criteria for release of funds to students was adjusted to include this expanded eligibility.

Current Funding for Students

As of early October, 2021, Washington State University has completed funding Fall 2021 students with Federal Emergency Relief Grant from ARP or HEERF III. Students were notified if they have been funded. In late August, students were notified of this and that we opened the Fall term as an option on the Emergency Fund Request form. Students will only receive federal emergency funding once per term. Students who have extenuating circumstances and need beyond HEERF funding, may be considered for other, more limited resources based on availability by campus.

Program Summary

  • HEERF I is called the CARES Act (Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act). WSU was awarded $10.88 million in the student portion of the HEERF I (CARES Act) funds. All of these funds have been distributed to students.
  • HEERF II is called the CRRSAA (Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act). WSU was awarded $10.88 million in the student portion of the HEERF II (CRRSAA) funds. A general notices went to enrolled student in March, 2021. As of early June, 2021, $10.3 million has been distributed to students. The remainder is in process of being distributed.
  • HEERF III is called the ARP (American Rescue Plan). WSU was awarded $31.1 million in the student portion of the HEERF III (ARP) funds. These funds began to be distributed to students during the Summer term, 2021, and have been processed for Fall term students. A general notice went out to students in July, 2021 and another in late August, 2021.
  • If you are in need of assistance, please contact the Student Financial Services Office.


More information is posted to the Student Care Network about HEERF funding and how students qualified. For more information on this or to seek help with challenges due to Covid-19 or related issues, please see the Student Care Network page.

For information on Emergency Resources by Campus, please check here.


COVID 19 Useful Tools from i-Grad

SFS Office Operations


The Pullman office staff are back in the office!  We are open for calls, Monday through Friday from 9am to 3pm (Tuesday’s 10am – 3pm). We are also open for virtual and face-to-face window appointments.  Our front office is open 8-5, Monday through Friday.

Instructions for AppointmentsSchedule an Appointment

Vancouver, Spokane, Tri-Cities, Everett, & Global …

These offices have various customer service schedules.
Contact your campus office!


We know there are many questions related to the COVID-19 and university actions to safeguard and support the WSU community. In Student Financial Services, we are doing our best to be a resource during this time of crisis. We understand that there will be challenges faced by our students and families during the coming weeks. It is our goal to assist each of you to the extent possible. Please see below for answers to some of the questions we expect from you.


Q:  How do I talk with someone about my financial aid ?

A:  There are a few different ways to have a conversation with us.  Student can call in and speak with our staff by calling 509-335-9711.  Depending on the call volume, you may have to wait for the next available staff person.  You can also schedule a phone or face-to-face appointment where we will contact you.  Days and times of available appointments can be accessed here.    You can also email us general questions or use one of our specific email addresses to ask about certain financial aid topics.  Information on our email options is available on our contact us page. Please allow a few days for email responses during our busy time of the year.


Q: How can I turn in documents that the Student Financial Services Office is requiring?

A: The best way to submit documents is through our secure online portal. Through this process, a student can log in, review any of your outstanding document requests, and securely transmit them to our office for safe and efficient review. The SubmitSFSDocs portal is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. SFS requests that students and families avoid emailing required documents to ensure the safe and secure transmission of your personally identifiable information. If you are having issues submitting info through our online portal, please contact us at, and we will work quickly to help resolve your issue.


Q: Is there emergency funding available to students impacted by COVID-19?

A: Yes, however federal emergency funds have been exhausted.   Students may still apply through the Emergency Fund Request Form, but institutional funding is limited. For more information, please see the WSU CARES Act page.


Q:  We have had a loss in income due to COVID or other reasons.  What can we do?

A:  It may be possible for us to adjust the information on your FAFSA, though this is not always the case.  We recommend you review information on our Special Circumstances page.




(Last Updated on 6/11/2021)