- Must be a full-time student at a four-year, accredited institution within the U.S., carrying a total of 12 units or more per semester/quarter
- MUST major in advertising, marketing or public relations
- Must be an undergraduate (current freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and non-graduating seniors ONLY) and graduate students
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident or be an AB-540 student/DACA recipient
- Must be a member of one of the following ethnic groups: African American/Black, Asian American/Pacific Islander, Hispanic/Latino, or Native American/Alaska Native.
- Must have a 3.0 GPA for undergraduate, 3.2 for graduate students
- Must have at least one year to complete his/her degree for undergraduate, minimum of two academic semesters or one year for graduate students from the time the scholarships are awarded
- Recipients who attend a college/university EAST of Chicago must be available Saturday, May 19, 2018 through Tuesday May 22, 2018. Recipients who attend a college/university WEST of Chicago must be available Saturday, June 2, 2018 through Tuesday, June 5, 2018. If chosen, the applicant MUST attend TLF’s scholarship activities to receive the scholarship. The applicant must make a one-year commitment to maintain contact with TLF to receive professional guidance and academic support.
All applications must be submitted by February 28, 2018. Extra points are awarded to those who submit by January 19, 2018.
How to Apply
- Complete the application form found online
- Submit one reference letter from a college professor or internship advisor on official letterhead and signed
- Submit your current resume
- Submit unofficial transcripts from your college/university. If you are selected as a finalist, you must provide official transcripts.
- Submit a headshot photo of applicant
- Complete the essay questions:
- A one- to two-page essay outlining your career goals and where you see your career path leading you. In addition, explain why you believe it’s important to increase the number of ethnic minorities in the fields of advertising, marketing, and public relations. You can include accomplishments relevant to increasing awareness about diversity in your community.
- Submit a brief paragraph explaining college and/or community activities in which you are involved in
- Submit a brief paragraph describing any honors and awards that you have received
- *Optional: If you do not think your GPA accurately reflects your scholastic capability and achievement, then draft an essay no longer than one-page explaining the discrepancy
100 scholarships will be awarded in 2018. Of the 100, 60 ethnic minority undergraduate students will receive scholarships of $2,000 each, and 40 graduate students will receive scholarships of $3,500 each.
The application and submission guidelines can be found on the scholarship’s website.
Online Application Available