National High School Essay Contest
- Please note: Students whose parents are not in the Foreign Service are eligible to participate if they are in grades nine through twelve in any of the fifty states, the District of Columbia, the U.S. territories, or if they are U.S. citizens attending high school overseas.
- Students may be attending a public, private, or parochial school.
- Entries from home-schooled students are also accepted.
- Previous first-place winners and immediate relatives of directors or staff of the AFSA, the U.S. Institute of Peace, Semester at Sea, and National Student Leadership Conference are not eligible to participate.
- Previous honorable mention designees are eligible to enter.
All applications must be submitted by 11:59pm EDT on April 4, 2022
How to Apply
- Write a 1,000-1,250-word essay on the topic (posted on the linked page).
- Complete the online registration form.
- Student registration forms must have a teacher or sponsor name. That person may review the submitted essay and act as the key contact between participants and AFSA.
The application and submission guidelines can be found on the scholarship’s website.
Online Application Available