Skip to main content Skip to navigation
Washington State University
Financial aid options for Undocumented students

WSU is committed to minimizing any obstacles prospective students may face. While undocumented students have limited eligibility for financial aid, we have made it our mission to provide the maximum amount of assistance possible.

You could qualify for resident tuition

Good news! If you have lived in the state of Washington for at least three years and earned a diploma or GED from a Washington state high school, you may qualify for in-state tuition rates under state law HB-1079. Please note that HB-1079 does not change a student’s legal citizenship status.

To attend WSU at the in-state tuition rate:

Apply for state financial aid

Complete the WASFA

If you qualify under Washington state bill HB-1079 or DACA, you should complete the Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA). See for more information about HB-1079 and DACA.

WASFA application

State financial aid available:

Find support at WSU

The Crimson Achievement Pathways: Undocumented Initiative at WSU provides support and resources for undocumented and immigrant students: that are applying for admission, qualify for DACA and HB 1079, mentoring, and more.

Future Cougars Embracing Diversity is an opportunity for underrepresented and first-generation students to visit campus, see what WSU has to offer, get questions answered, and meet current students.

Attend FCED

Apply for Scholarships

WSU invites all students to apply for scholarships. Completing the WSU general scholarship application will let WSU consider you for more than 700 scholarship programs awarded through the University.

You may also qualify for scholarships awarded by foundations, corporations, and civic groups. There are literally thousands of them out there. Use our handy scholarship search tool to find scholarships you can apply for.

Access and Opportunity Scholarship

Incoming HB-1079 students can be considered for this competitive scholarship, which offers awards of either $3,000 per year or $5,000 per year. To qualify for consideration, you will need to:

University Achievement Award

All students who apply for admission by January 31 are automatically considered for this award. Eligibility is based on high school GPA and SAT or ACT test scores. More information here.