Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
- Must be a citizen of the United States
- Be an undergraduate student in good standing at an accredited institution of higher education in the U.S. (including both two-year and four-year institutions)
- Be receiving a Federal Pell Grant or proof that you will be receiving a Pell Grant during the term of your study abroad program or internship.
- Be in the process of applying to, or accepted for, a study abroad or internship program of at least 2 weeks for community college students and 3 weeks for students from four-year institutions, in a single country and eligible for credit from the student’s home institution. Proof of program acceptance is required prior to award disbursement
- Be proposing to study in a country not currently under a travel warning issued by the U.S. Dept of State or otherwise determined ineligible for program participation
Applications are due at 11:59pm CST on deadline day (April 15, 2018 for Spring; August 1, 2018 for Summer; October 15, 2018 for Fall).
How To Submit Your Application
- Complete the online application
- There are two essays required as part of the Gilman Scholarship application:
- The Statement of Purpose Essay
- Address the impact that your study abroad program or internship will have on your academic, professional, and personal goals
- Address the impact that receiving the Gilman Scholarship would have on your achievement of these goals
- The Follow-On Service Project Proposal
- Explain how you will give back by inspiring others to pursue their own experiences abroad
- You are limited to 7,000 (including spaces) per essay
- See website for tips and suggestions for these two essays
The application and submission guidelines can be found on the scholarship’s website.