Skip to main content Skip to navigation
Washington State University
Accepting Your Loans

Federal Direct Loans

If you’ve been offered a federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan, follow these steps.

1. Accept your loan(s)

To accept your loan online at

  1. Click “Financial Aid”
  2. Award for year will show automatically in “Award/Summary”
  3. Click “Accept/Decline”
  4. Click “Edit” button above list of awards
  5. Accepted funding is for two semesters, or full academic year, and will be split accordingly.
  6. Click “Submit”

Accept your loan

To accept loans in person, bring your financial aid award letters with you to your appointment.

To accept loans by phone, call a financial aid counselor at your WSU location.


2. Complete your Master Promissory Note

The Master Promissory Note (MPN) is a binding legal contract that spells out the terms and conditions of loans. Essentially, the lender agrees to loan you a specific amount of money and you commit to repaying it.

To complete and sign the Master Promissory Note:

  1. Go to and click “Log In.”
  2. Sign in with your FSA ID.
  3. Click on “Complete Master Promissory Note.”
  4. Click “Subsidized/Unsubsidized.”
  5. Complete the MPN by signing with your FSA ID.

Master Promissory Note

3. Entrance counseling

Federal law mandates entrance loan counseling for Subsidized/Unsubsidized Direct Loans be completed before WSU can deliver these funds to you. You need to complete this counseling only once while attending WSU.

To complete your entrance counseling requirement:

  1. Go to and click “Log In.”
  2. Sign in with your FSA ID.
  3. Click on “Complete Counseling.”
  4. Under “Entrance Counseling,” click “Start.”
  5. Indicate whether you are an undergraduate or graduate student.
  6. Follow the instructions to complete the counseling.
  7. Once completed, print the confirmation page for your records.

Entrance counseling

Help with completing the MPN/EC

This video contains helpfui information on completing the Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling (EC).

Exit counseling

Exit counseling is required when you withdraw, drop below half-time status, or graduate. In each of these instances, you are expected to begin repayment of your federal student loans.

Details will be sent via mail and email to all WSU students who have applied for graduation.

If you’re a graduate student, you can complete the exit counseling requirement for both Subsidized/Unsubsidized Direct Loans and Graduate PLUS Loans through a combined process. Alternatively, the exit information also can be mailed to you at your request.