Skip to main content Skip to navigation
Washington State University
Student Financial Services LGBTQ+ Students
LGBTQ+ Students LGBTQ+ Students

Name Discrepancies

When completing the FAFSA, you must enter your name as it appears on your Social Security card, even if you have a chosen name within the system at WSU. If you have had your name legally changed, you will need to have your Social Security card updated. More information can be found through the Social Security Administration.

FAFSA Dependency Override

As financial aid administrators, we may do dependency overrides on a case-by-case basis for students with unusual circumstances. None of the conditions listed below, singly or in combination, qualify as unusual circumstances meriting a dependency override:

  1. Parents refuse to contribute to the student’s education.
  2. Parents are unwilling to provide information on the FAFSA or for verification.
  3. Parents do not claim the student as a dependent for income tax purposes.
  4. Student demonstrates total self-sufficiency

However, these circumstances could justify an override:

  1. Abandonment by parents
  2. An abusive family environment that threatens the student’s health or safety
  3. The student being unable to locate their parents.”

In these cases an override might be warranted. For example, an LGBTQ+ student being rejected by their family due to their gender identity/expression and/or sexual/romantic orientation could be grounds for a dependency override.  Each case is different and dependent on the situation and information provided.

If you believe that you are eligible for a dependency override, please contact Student Financial Services.  You may also want to review or complete the special circumstances appeal form.  You can also make an appointment to visit with a student financial services advisor.

Selective Service Registration

Students who were assigned male at birth are required to register with the Selective Service within 30 days of their 18th birthday. This includes individuals who have transitioned before or since then. According to the National Center for Transgender Equality, “the Selective Service uses Social Security and other databases to determine who they believe was assigned male at birth.” The Selective Service website states, “In the event of a resumption of the draft, individuals born male who have changed their gender to female can file a claim for an exemption from military service if they receive an order to report for examination or induction.” A legal name change will require completion of the Change of Information form, which also requires a copy of the legal order document as proof. (Please note this form will misgender you.) A legal name change must be submitted within 10 days.

For students who were assigned female at birth, but whose government documents have their sex as male, they will need to complete a Status Information Letter to prove that they are not required to register.

More information can be found at the National Center for Transgender Equality and the Selective Service System.