Skip to main content Skip to navigation
Washington State University
Applying for aid as a Part-time Student

Financial aid is available for part-time students, including loans and grants. However, some grants will be prorated.

The Washington College Grant, the Pell Grant, and the College Bound Scholarship are prorated based on enrollment. Some scholarships require full-time enrollment. Research your scholarship’s eligibility requirements for enrollment BEFORE you enroll as a part-time student. Aid will not release unless you are enrolled at least half-time.

Half-time and three-quarter time enrollment

For the academic year, students must be enrolled at least half-time to be eligible for federal loans.

  • Undergraduate students:  Half-time enrollment is 6-8 credits per semester. three-quarter enrollment  is 9-11 credits per semester.
  • Graduate students: Half-time enrollment is 5-9 credits per semester. 10+ credits is considered full-time.

Students will be eligible for federal loans so long as they are enrolled at least half-time. Pell Grants and State Need Grants are also available but will be prorated to 75% for three-quarter time enrollment and 50% for half-time enrollment.

Students will be ineligible for financial aid if they are enrolled in 5 credits or less and are not receiving Pell Grant or College Bound Scholarship.

Graduate students are not eligible for State and Federal aid grant funding but may receive Federal loan funding.