Skip to main content Skip to navigation
Washington State University
We're here to help Contact Us

Financial Aid FAQs

What is SAP?

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards ensure that you are successfully completing your coursework and can continue to receive financial aid. All students receiving financial aid are required to meet SAP standards. If you received a SAP notification, or for more information regarding SAP, view our handbook.

Can I qualify for emergency funding? 

Students may qualify for institutional emergency aid based on their campus.  For more information, please see the WSU Student Care Network site.  If your income or family situation has changed since completing the FAFSA or WASFA, please see our Special Circumstances page for possible options.

Is there a FASFA deadline?

The FAFSA/WASFA  priority date for the 24-25 academic year is June 1st. We will continue to accept and process FAFSA/WASFA’s after this time, but they will not be considered for priority funding. Eligibility for the Federal Pell Grant and or Federal Direct Loans and State Grants are not affected by this priority deadline. For other important deadlines visit our info page.

When will I receive my financial aid?

For fall 2024: Tuition charges will post mid July! Financial aid for the term will begin disbursing August 12th.
Financial aid is disbursed to student accounts up to 10 days
before instruction begins, generally the week prior to classes starting. If you
have financial aid greater than your charges, you will receive a refund or
excess funds payment. We recommend students sign up for direct deposit to make
this process faster. You can find information on signing up for direct deposit
on our Helpful Videos page

How do I qualify for Work-Study?

Work-Study (either federal or state) is a need based program. Students have to have applied on time with the FAFSA or WASFA, and still have enough financial need after other programs are offered. Work-Study is offered to eligible students after they are hired for a work-study job, assuming they qualify. For more information on work-study, please see our work-study page.

Do I have to fill out a FASFA form every year?

You must complete the FASFA for every year you would like to receive federal and/or state financial aid. For those enrolling for Fall 2024 or Spring 2025 semester, a 2024-2025 FAFSA is needed.

How do I accept my loan(s)?

Under your MyWSU, go to the current aid year under Financial Aid and click “Accept/Decline”. From there, you may edit the amount you wish to borrow for the year that will be split by semester (Fall/Spring). Remember, before you receive this aid, you will need to complete your Master Promissory Note and/or Entrance Counseling. For a more thorough guide on how to accept your loans, please visit our loans page.



What if my financial situation changes after submitting the FAFSA?

Changes in finances due
to a reduction in income, a change in marital status, the death of a
parent/spouse, or other special circumstances may greatly impact a family’s
ability to pay for college. To alleviate such changes, families may file
a Special Circumstance Appeal to see if they qualify for an adjustment to their financial aid award. These are judged on a case-by-case basis to adjust the data used in calculating the Student Aid Index (SAI) to reflect these special circumstances.

If I change the number of credit hours I am enrolled in, will my financial aid be affected?

Yes, your financial aid can be affected by your enrollment status (full-time, half-time, etc.). If you change your enrolled hours, be sure to contact our office to discuss the possible impacts on your financial aid awards.  If you have dropped below half time, withdrawn, or graduated, and you have federal student loans, please see our Leaving WSU page to determine if you need to complete student loan exit counseling.

What is an SAI?

Your SAI (Student Aid Index) represents how much the Department of Education feels you/your family can afford to pay for your academic year’s education. It is calculated from the information that is submitted on your FAFSA. This number is used to determine your eligibility for federal student aid.

I was told to complete my Master Promissory Note and/or Entrance Counseling. How do I do this?

Go to myWSU and click on the Tasks tile. Follow the online instructions to complete these items, if they are still showing as needed to be completed. Students who are receiving federal student loans for the first time at WSU must complete both the Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling before the loan funds can be applied to their account.

What is Census and how does it impact my financial aid?

Census is a “snapshot” of your enrollment on the 10th day of the term. Based on your enrollment and what type of aid, your financial aid may be adjusted due to your census enrollment. For more information on census, please see our census page.


Contact Our Office

Submit Documents

Submit Electronically

If you have a WSU network ID and password, you can send documents electronically.

Submit SFS Docs

Mail or deliver in person to the Central Campus

Mailing address:
Office of Student Financial Services
Lighty Student Services Bldg., Rm. 380
1815 Wilson Rd.
PO Box 641068
Pullman, WA 99164-1068

Deliver documents in person – use the drop box in front of the Student Financial Services office anytime (left-side of the main doors).

Fax: (509) 335-1385

Still need assistance? Use your campus contact (see campuses above)

FAFSA/WASFA Applications for Upcoming Year:

We have created a FAFSA/WASFA CHANGES page to help students and families navigate the upcoming 24-25 changes. Both applications are open.