Because we believe that finances should never prevent someone from getting a college degree, the University has committed to covering the cost of tuition and mandatory fees for students who could not otherwise afford to attend.
To be eligible for the Cougar Commitment, you must be a Washington state resident pursuing your first bachelor’s degree. You will also need to meet the following criteria:
- Are from a low- or middle-income family in Washington & receiving the Washington College Grant OR Pell Grant;
- File your FAFSA or WASFA1 by WSU’s priority deadline each year;
- Submit any requested financial aid verification documents to our office by the published deadline;
- Apply to WSU for admission & be enrolled as a full-time student (at least 12 semester credit hours);
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP) toward your degree.
1Undocumented Washington residents’ eligibility will be determined independent of Pell Grant eligibility determination, contingent on institutional funding
**Effective 2020-2021: Cougar Commitment eligibility will be dependent on institutional funding availability.
Your tuition will be covered first by your federal and state grants—like the Pell Grant or Supplemental Need Grant. If federal, state and institutional grants do not cover the full cost of your tuition and mandatory fees (health, recreation center, transit, etc.), WSU will make up the difference with this award.
Funds awarded for Cougar Commitment may not exceed your unmet financial need. If you receive additional university aid (such as scholarships) or non-WSU funded aid (such as privately funded scholarships), those funds will be applied first, and Cougar Commitment will make up the difference, if any.
Cougar Commitment award amounts are limited to tuition and mandatory fees, ONLY. However, additional grant and scholarship funds may be available to help with the other costs of education.
Please note that this program is only available during the regular academic year (i.e. fall and spring semesters) and the established value may vary slightly from when final decisions are made on actual tuition and mandatory fee rates.